Customer Privacy Notice
Data Privacy and Data Protection is a priority for BP Chargemaster. Please read this Customer Privacy Notice carefully to understand when we may collect personal data, how and why we use it, the legal basis of this use, and your rights with respect to the processing.
The company responsible for this website (bpchargemaster.com) is:
Chargemaster Limited is registered in England and Wales with company number 06720009 (“BP Chargemaster”).
Personal data we may collect
Through your use of this website, mobile app and/or your purchase of products or services offered by BP Chargemaster we may collect, store and process the following data about you:
- Contact and Identity Information: details of how to contact you, e.g. title, name, address, email address, telephone numbers, any other information you choose to divulge as part of a query.
- Property Information: details of a property / location, e.g. address, availability of off-street parking.
- Vehicle Information: details of a vehicle, e.g. make, model, registration number, year of manufacture.
- Any other personal information that you provide to us during a phone call relating to your enquiry.
- Marketing Preference Information: details of your consent for us to send marketing materials, preferred channels.
- Payment Information: details of payment card, e.g. card number, expiry, CVC, cardholder and details of payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Cookies Information: information about website visits, interactions.
- Customer Services Information: recording/reporting of faults, issues with the charging network, your feedback on the services offered by BP Chargemaster.
- Usage Data: details of electric usage from a charging unit.
When do we collect your personal data?
If you decide to contact us, you will be invited to provide Contact and Identity Information that will allow us to handle your enquiry effectively. Our legal basis in processing this data is legitimate interest, namely our desire to respond to your enquiry. We need the information you provide to do so effectively, and judge that this is how you would expect us to use the information supplied. If you contact us by phoning our Customer Service team, your call, and therefore your personal data, may be recorded. Our legal basis in processing this data is legitimate interest, namely for training and monitoring purposes.
If your enquiry relates to potential purchase of products or services from us, you will be invited to provide additional personal data needed for us to handle your enquiry effectively. This may include Property and/or Vehicle Information. The processing of such information is necessary for the purposes of taking steps prior to entering into a contract with you.
If you decide to purchase goods or services from us, we will collect Contact and Identity Information and Payment Information so we can execute the transaction. Our legal basis for processing this data is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you purchase a communicating unit, we will collect usage data as part of our service to you and, if agreed, will provide you with this data via our online customer portal. Our legal basis for processing this data is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you call us to discuss any faults found with the charging network or your Homecharge unit or if you have another issue or query, we will record your information against your account. This is so that we can track the fault and ensure that it has been managed in a way that is appropriate to the fault found. The legal basis for this processing is that the processing is necessary for the purposes of performing a contract with you.
If you decide to provide us with your vehicle registration number, we will use this information for the purpose of ensuring that you are not caught by any car park fees when charging at one of our charging units and will share it with the private companies operating such car parks. Our legal basis for processing data under these circumstances is your consent.
We may use your personal information (including your Contact and Identity Information) for the purpose of conducting market research and analysis to improve our systems and processes for our customers and to contact you to ask if you would like to participate in surveys from time to time. Participating in any survey is entirely voluntary and you can opt-out of doing so at any time, including in advance, by contacting our Data Privacy Team using the details provided below in the ‘Queries and Complaints’ section. Our legal basis for processing such data for this purpose is our legitimate interest in improving our services.
If you decide to provide us with Marketing Preference Information indicating consent for us to send you marketing information we will retain this data and use it along with the associated Contact Information to deliver information about products and services we feel may be of interest to you. Our legal basis for processing data under these circumstances is consent.
You may only provide us with the personal data of another person if you have previously obtained that person’s consent to the processing of their personal data, have informed them of our identity as a data controller and of the nature of the processing taking place. Records must be retained by you as evidence of this consent and provided to us on request.
Where we are processing your data based on your consent, you can withdraw this consent at any time. We provide simple ways of doing this where we can (e.g. cookie consent form, unsubscribe links in emails). In any instance you can ask for your consent to be withdrawn by contacting us through the channels provided in the ‘Queries and Complaints’ section below.
How long do we keep your information?
BP Chargemaster operates a clear retention policy to ensure personal data is kept only for so long as is necessary for the purpose for which such information is collected, after which we make it non-identifiable or delete it.
The actual length of time data is retained will depend on the purpose for which it was collected. For example, in the case of Contact Information relating to an enquiry not resulting in any further agreement between us we will delete personal data six (6) months after the date of our last contact. In the case of personal data from recorded calls, we will delete these calls after four (4) months. For web shop purchases, we do not retain payment card details after completion of the payment transaction.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We contract with third parties to host the servers supporting our websites and provide services in relation to other aspects of our operations and it may be necessary to share your personal data with these third parties in connection with the purposes set out in this Customer Privacy Notice. Any third-party provider we appoint must act in accordance with our written instructions when processing your personal data and must protect your personal data in line with the contractually required security measures. If we will store or transfer your personal data to a third-party provider based outside the European Economic Area, we will have safeguards in place to ensure your personal data is adequately protected and a copy of these safeguards will be available on request.
For more information about any third-party service provider and the personal information shared with them please contact our Data Privacy Team using the details provided below in the ‘Queries and Complaints’ section.
For web shop sales, we share payment card details with our payment card processor.
We will not share your data with third parties for marketing purposes unless we have your express consent to do so.
We will disclose your vehicle registration number (if you provided it to us) with private companies operating car parks for the purpose of ensuring that you are not caught by any car park fees when charging at one of our charging units.
We may disclose your personal data to any member of the BP Group, BP strategic partner(s) or strategic sponsor(s) where necessary in connection with the purposes set out in this Customer Privacy Notice. Where we transfer personal data to other wholly owned BP entities, we do this under our group-wide binding corporate rules (“BCRs”) in order to ensure an adequate level of protection wherever these BP entities are based.
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties:
- if we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; or
- if we or substantially all our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about our customers will be one of the transferred assets; or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply other agreements; or
- to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of BP Chargemaster, its customers, staff, suppliers or others; to comply with applicable law or co-operate with law enforcement; or to enforce its terms or other agreements.
Your personal data may be sent to your local distribution network operator to ensure that your charging unit can be fitted at your property without causing issues with the local electrical supply. This is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a charging unit.
Your personal data may be sent to the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) to confirm that the installation of your charging unit meets the correct installation requirements and is recorded as part of the standard NICEIC requirements. This information is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a charging unit.
Your personal data may be sent to the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and other relevant third parties to enable us to apply for a government Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme grant on your behalf. This information is passed on as part of the contract if you are purchasing a home charging unit.
Your personal data may be sent to a third-party debt collection agency in order to collect outstanding payments from you on our behalf. You will be notified before we do this in accordance with our terms and conditions.
Changes to our Customer Privacy Notice
We may make minor changes to our Customer Privacy Notice in the future and will post these to this page on our website. If we make any significant changes, we will take additional steps to inform you.
Your rights relating to Personal Data
You have certain rights in relation to your personal data which we aim to uphold as follows. Please note that rights are not absolute and are subject to certain qualification and exceptions.
- Right to be informed: You have the right to receive clear, transparent and understandable information about how we process your personal data. Our Customer Privacy Notices, including this one, aim to meet this need.
- Right to access: You can ask us for a copy of personal data we hold about you.
- Right to rectification: You can ask us to correct any error you identify in personal data we hold about you.
- Right to erasure: You can ask us to delete data we hold about you. We will do so unless we have a compelling reason to retain (e.g. legal requirement, prevention of fraud).
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to stop using your personal data.
- Right to data portability: You can ask us to provide your personal data in a form suitable for use by another organisation.
- Right to object: You can object to our processing of your personal data where we are doing so under the legal basis of legitimate interest.
If you would like to contact us in connection with exercising any of these rights, please do by contacting our Data Privacy Team using the contact details provided in the ‘Queries and Complaints’ section below.
Queries and Complaints
Please direct any questions relating to our handling of your personal data or this Customer Privacy Notice, please contact our Data Protection Team as follows:
If you are within the European Union (“EU”) you also have the right to raise a privacy concern the with the data protection authority established in the relevant EU country. Contact details for each EU data protection authority can be found here.
Our website has different sub-sites for various businesses, products and services, which may also have their own privacy notices. Please read these if you visit our sub-sites.
Our website and mobile app may contain links to third-party sites. This Customer Privacy Notice does not apply to those third-party sites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these sites or their policies